Skip to main content

Other UK safety reporting systems

CROSS-UK welcomes reports about fire safety and structural safety issues related to buildings and other structures in the built environment. You can find out more on our reporting to CROSS-UK page.

There are a number of other safety reporting systems for the built environment in the UK addition to CROSS-UK.


Fire and rescue services

The National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) is the professional voice of the UK fire and rescue service.

If you see something that you think might be a fire risk, you can report it to your local fire and rescue service.

Search for your local fire and rescue service.


Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

The HSE is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It prevents work-related death, injury and ill health.

The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) is an executive non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for the Economy (DfE). HSENI is the lead body responsible for the promotion and enforcement of health and safety at work standards in Northern Ireland.

If you see something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law and is likely to cause serious harm, you can report it to the HSE or HSENI.

Find out more about reporting a problem to the HSE:


Building control departments in councils

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales. Building Control Northern Ireland is a voluntary umbrella grouping of the Building Control Departments of the Eleven Local Councils in Northern Ireland. Local Authority Building Standards Scotland (LABSS) is a not-for-profit membership organisation representing all local authority building standards verifiers in Scotland.

If you are aware of a dangerous building or structure, you can contact your local council about it.

Find out more about contacting your local building control department:


Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

RIDDOR puts duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the Responsible Person) to report certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses).

Find out more about RIDDOR:


United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS)

UKAS is the UK’s National Accreditation Body, responsible for determining, in the public interest, the technical competence and integrity of organisations such as those offering testing, calibration and certification services.

Find out more about complaints, feedback and appeals with UKAS.